The foods They are our main source of vitamins and nutrients, so a proper diet is essential to keep our body healthy and functioning optimally. Surely you have heard that some foods are better consumed raw or undercooked in order to preserve their properties to the maximum, this is the case of fruits and many vegetables. But when we do not want to eat them without cooking or in the case of those ingredients that must be cooked, what can we do to preserve their benefits? In we explain how to cook without losing nutrients from food.You may also be interested: How to cook healthy Steps to follow: 1
The cooking process causes food to lose a part of its nutrientsHowever, the way we choose to wash and handle them before cooking them, the method chosen to prepare them and the time they spend in the fire have a decisive influence on the amount of vitamins that they will finally lose, so it is important to take into account each detail.2
In the case of fruits and vegetables, take these recommendations into account to avoid losing nutrients in food when washing and preparing them for cooking:
- In cases where it is not necessary, avoid peeling food, as you lose the vitamins contained in your skin or skin.
- Peel the food just before cooking to prevent oxidation and preserve its properties.
- It is not advisable to let food soak for a long time, as this encourages the loss of nutrients.
If you choose boil food, take these recommendations into account to better preserve your nutrients:
- Add the food to the water when it is boiling, otherwise it will be soaked for longer without cooking, losing properties.
- Choose to cut food into large pieces to keep your contributions.
- Boil, whenever possible, in a small amount of water, so the vitamins will be less diluted.
- If possible add a few drops of lemon juice to the cooking, this helps to keep the nutrients.
- It is preferable that the vegetables are crispy instead of very soft, as this will mean that you have boiled them too much, decreasing their contributions.
The cooking methods that best help preserve nutrients they are steamed, baked or sauteed because the food is in limited contact with the water and is maintained at more stable temperatures.
It is also recommended that those vegetables that can be eaten raw are ingested in this way from time to time, so that you receive maximum contributions.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to cook without losing nutrients in foodWe recommend that you enter our Food and Drink category.